Thursday, May 24, 2012

Is New York your artistic destination?

I received this email today.

Anyone received a similar email?

My email response is below...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Raquel Contreas NY ARTS" <marketing.nyarts@gmail.com>
To: Graham Hay
Sent: Thursday, 24 May, 2012 6:38:06 AM GMT +08:00 Beijing / Chongqing / Hong Kong / Urumqi
Subject: NY PUBLICITY OPPORTUNITY - NY ARTS MAGAZINE

Dear Graham Hay,      

My name is Raquel Contreras and I am a freelance curator working with Abraham Lubelski organizing a July 2012 group exhibition and publicity package as a part of the International Artists at Home & Abroad series at Broadway Gallery NYC in New York. I am inviting you to take advantage of a unique publicity package that includes participation in the NY exhibition, as well as the opportunity to benefit from a full years’ worth of publicity/exposure on the web and in print. 

Our partnership with NY Arts Magazine and Art Fairs International will provide you with international exposure to galleries, curators, collectors, dealers, museums, and art patrons reaching a readership of over 20 million annual hits. This offer is the best publicity package available in today's contemporary art market and the artist will retain 70% of any sale made during the exhibition. The fee for this complete one-year publicity package (including the NY exhibition) is $1,900.

By paying close attention to the intuitive works of each artist, we are hoping to construct an exhibition of works that truly speaks to our audiences. I am particularly excited and interested in your work "Carved Information as Object"  and I believe it would be an important addition to our program. The use of color and technique makes this work appealing and eye-catching. Please review the two components of this proposal: Part One: Publicity Package / Part Two: NY Exhibition. Feel free to contact Abraham Lubelski or myself at any time to discuss this proposal further.

We look forward to a great and constructive collaboration.

All the best,

Raquel Contreras
Associate Curator
marketing.nyarts@gmail.com
Abraham Lubelski
Publisher
NY Arts Magazine
abraham@nyartsmagazine.com
473 Broadway, 7th floor, NY, NY 10013 | 212-274-8993

Dear Raquel

Thank you for your email.

Would I be correct be describing your service as a "vanity service" (neither a good or bad thing in my opinion)?

I respond to all cold calls and emails such as yours by Googling any organisation and staff names, and include the work "scam":


While I do discount some comments as simple rationalising, it does seem you do have a PR problem, particularly as some comments are from past staff members.

I welcome your comments with an open mind.


Cheers

Graham 

(image sourced from http://www.designhotels.com/hotels/americas/usa/new_york_city)

UPDATE: Two months later...still no reply from them

4 comments:

  1. I received a similar email more than one time, and if you search "Raquel Contreras art curator" in google you find a lot of results...
    Did you join?? Any benefit?
    Grazie, ciao.

    Andrea Gatti
    http://www.agatti.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Andrea, no response back. You may be interested in another blogger http://joannemattera.blogspot.com.au/2009/05/marketing-mondays-vanity-gallery.html
    who also written at length on Vanity Galleries (and got a huge response).
    An extensive list of vanity galleries is at
    http://www.artbusiness.com/artist-pay-to-play-list.html

    Footnote: Just received a similar email today from Ruthie Tucker, Amsterdam Whitney Gallery. Of course I'll be asking her what her current fees are?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just came across you site...

    Yes, it's been a while but this might be a case of better late than never. As for what is vanity and what isn't I simply often like to quote Oscar Wild, "a bad review is better than no review." I myself also as an artist have also created a web magazine and a print version plus my own studio space converted into a gallery. As an artist I believe in this opportunity for ALL artist in spite of the fact that almost all galleries are commercial and work with blue chip artists if they are to survive economically. I truly believe in the hard work I and my staff continue to perform here in New York so tell me what you think of the magazine site and the gallery and the print magazine which you can get for free.... but there's so much to discuss intelligently. If we can find the time while being artists, raising families, making friendships, and plain survival to pay our bill... to be continued...gotta go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Abraham, for your input.

    I assume you are aware of the criticism of your activities in the above linked website (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296011&page=2)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to add your own comments here...

Translate

Search This Blog