Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Kipling's Kim.

One Sunday afternoon, waiting for the art program, I watched the boy's own adventure movie "Kim".

It's based upon Rudyard Kipling's book by the same name.

Rudyard Kipling was the first english-language writer (and youngest ever), recipient of the Nobel Prize in Literature. 1

Not surprisingly "Kim" was a highly enjoyable ripping yarn set in colonial India.

At high school I studied India's history, including the Partition of British India into India and Pakistan.

Then in 1983 I spent a few months wandering around southern India.

While watching it I also reflected on my indirect link to Kipling via his father.

Kipling's farther was simultaneously the first principal of the Mayo School of Arts and the first curator of the Lahore Museum, just next door.  This was the first art college in Northern India/Pakistan and  "designated the premier art institution". 2

In 2006 I was an invited by this now National College of Arts, to spend a month in their Ceramic Design Studio.

My experiences in India and Pakistan were chalk and cheese.  I clarified my thoughts and feelings in a short article I wrote for Pyre, the Ceramic Art Association of Western Australia Newsletter.

What was particularly interesting was the creation of the School/College of Arts as a way of protecting and preserving local hand skills and culture during the Industrial Revolution.  The Industrial Revolution hoovered up raw materials around the world, ran it through those " dark satanic mills of England" and flooded the world with bland machined product, destroying local hand make culture across the British Empire. The parallels to the present global situation, should be obvious.  But I digress...

Watching the movie inspired me to look up my blog entries during this time.

Scroll down/up to here to read the blog entry.

I found it full of thoughts on Hindu, Muslim and Christian weddings I had attended; the institution of Marriage, and death!3




Wedding: India, 1983

Wedding, Australia 1988


Wedding: Pakistan 2006

The blog entry ended speculating about the relative difference between and importance in my life, of the nature of people I knew, and the nature of my unique relationship with each of them.

Can we actually ever separate these two things? That is, is it their unique personality, or our unique relationship with them, that is most important?

Just over a decade later, I feel I am still none the wiser...


1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudyard_Kipling#Death_and_legacy   @ 29/11/15
2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_College_of_Arts  @ 29/11/15
3. http://graham-hay.blogspot.com.au/search?updated-min=2009-01-01T00:00:00%2B09:00&updated-max=2010-01-01T00:00:00%2B08:00&max-results=8  @ 29/11/15

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to add your own comments here...

Translate

Search This Blog